EGR valve cleaning
Cleaning your EGR valve prevents you from replacing it
A failure of the EGR valve is a frequent problem of diesel vehicles. Cleaning an EGR valve is within everybody’s reach!
Over time carbon deposits accumulate and clog the EGR valve. Then, the engine performance decreases and the black exhaust smoke and consumption increase. Avoid the replacement of your EGR valve with Bardahl products!
How does an EGR valve work?
The EGR valve (Exhaust Gaz Recirculation) is a mandatory engine part of all diesel and some petrol vehicles. It limits gas emissions, which are harmful for people and for the environment by recirculating a portion of the exhaust gases from the engine back into the combustion process.
Thus NOx, composed of nitric acid and nitrogen dioxide, are partially burnt in your engine when it is at low-load and running at an engine speed that varies according to vehicle brands. Of course, this has consequences on the engine clogging and on the EGR valve.
How and why does an EGR valve get clogged?
Over time and depending on the driving style, the EGR valve accumulates soot and eventually gets clogged. If it is blocked in closed position, your vehicle will normally run, but you will pollute more and will fail the technical inspection.
On the other hand, with an open valve, you will strongly damage your air intake system and cause other failures! Depending on the vehicle, the average cost of replacement varies between 450€ and 2,000€.
Blocking or removing the EGR valve is prohibited by the law and you will surely be refused at the technical inspection. It is important to sometimes clean your EGR valve to avoid its replacement.
Why should you clean the EGR valve?
The maintenance of your engine is essential to increase the lifespan of your vehicle and specially limit the cost of repair – but not only! Cleaning your EGR valve with Bardahl products will allow you to:
- Remove gum, varnish, soot and deposits from the EGR valve
- Restore airflow to the combustion chambers and eliminates holes in the acceleration
- Ensure perfect combustion
- Limit fuel overconsumption
- Prevent the formation of deposits
How to know if the EGR valve needs to be cleaned?
Prevention is always better than cure. Using our preventive additives, you will prevent your EGR valve from being clogged. If you do not have this reflex yet, there are many symptoms that can alert you before the engine failure. It never seems to be serious at first, but the consequences can be very expensive if you do not act:
- Increased black exhaust smoke
- Failed technical inspection
- Loss of power
- Orange or red warning light
- Lack of power at low speed
How to clean and protect your EGR valve?
Our tips to prevent the engine and the EGR valve from getting clogged.
The estimated cost for a new EGR valve replacement ranges from € 450 to € 2,000 depending on the type.
In order to avoid the expenses related to the replacement of your valves, there are 2 solutions:
1. Pour the content of one bottle in the fuel tank
Our additives are easy to use, you just need to add them to the fuel as a preventive or curative treatment.
2. A complete cleaning kit with dismantling
- If you drive in town or only run short distances, use Bardahl EGR valve cleaner every 5,000 km or once a year.
- If you often drive on highway, use the Bardahl EGR valve cleaner every 10,000 km or once a year.
- It is recommended to drive at a lower engine rpm. For example, drive at 120km/h in 5th gear instead of the 6th for 15 minutes.
3. EGR and engine cleaning
- For the DIYers, a complete cleaning kit is available and requires EGR valve dismantling. You can find many tutorials on the Internet (+/- 15 minutes).
The most efficient and innovative process on the market to clean the EGR is Bardahl eco-cleaning program!
Bardahl has the largest professional network in the world and our 3000 experts clean your engine to give it a new youth!
Where other methods of hydrogen cleaning try to clean all parts of your engine by injecting only one solution into the air intake, Bardahl independently treats each part of your engine for an optimal result.
Your injectors, air intake, EGR valve, turbo and DPF are cleaned in 30 minutes to 2 hours.
Concrete and immediate results
- Decreased consumption and therefore increased autonomy.
- Decreased exhaust fumes opacity and therefore decreased harmful emissions.
- A more flexible and dynamic driving.
- More power and original responsiveness.
Engine and injector cleaning from 59 € >>>